I'm always on the hunt for the next best fashion documentary and have just discovered one for you to binge watch this weekend; The Fashion Fund.
Following the CFDA & Vogue Fashion Fund finalists of 2013, the recently added to Netflix 6 episode series chronicles the challenges presented to each contestant over the course of the competition. Each finalists is tasked with presenting their brand and past, present and future collections to the judges, designing a piece in collaboration with Uniqlo, putting on a show for industry peers and much more.
The finalists featured in the show are:
- Veronica Miele Beard and Veronica Swanson Beard of Veronica Beard
- Marc Alary of Marc Alary Jewelry
- Tim Coppens
- Todd Snyder
- Misha Nonoo
- Shimon Ovadia and Ariel Ovadia of OVADIA & SONS
- Ryan Lobo and Ramon Martin of Tome
- Commodore Jason Jones of Parrabellum
- Juan Carlos Obando
The panel of judges includes my personal favourite Anna Wintour as well as Dianne von Furstenberg, previous Fashion Fund winners Marcus Wainwright and David Nevill of Rag and Bone and other industry heavyweights.
Once you've finished The Fashion Fund and let me know if you agree with the winners, I highly recommend the following documentaries and books. All documentaries are available on Netflix or iTunes and books can be found in all good book stores.
- The First Monday in May - Follows the creation of the 2015 MET gala and exhibition (the most attended in history!)
- Franca: Chaos and Creation - The life and times of Franca Sozzani, the editor of Italian Vogue and a fashion-world provocateur
- House of Z - The Zac Posen story
- The September Issue - A documentary chronicling the process of getting a record size September issue of US Vogue out the door
- Grace: A Memoir - A stunning autobiography of life the absurdly talented Grace Coddington
- Front Row: Anna Wintour - An in-depth biography of Anna Wintour's life in exciting detail
- The Woman I Wanted to Be - Incredibly interesting can't-put-it-down good autobiography from Diane von Furstenberg
- The Vogue Factor - Autobiography from the incredible former editor in chief of Australian Vogue Kristie Clements
- Saint Laurent - A movie chronicling the life of the brands namesake - bring tissues
- The True Cost - A must-watch! See it to realise why...
- Iris - Hilarious and informative
- Diana Vreeland - A true icon of the industry
- Dior and I - Simply a beautiful documentary!
Follow me on Instagram @watt_towear